Thursday, February 28, 2008

Repost: Take a Good Look at the Diet of Each Country

An interesting series of photos that appeared in a MySpace bulletin today:

Take a Good Look at the Diet of Each Country

Italy: The Manzo family of Sicily

Food expenditure for one week: 214.36 Euros or $260.11




Germany: The Melander family of Bargteheide

Food expenditure for one week: 375.39 Euros or $500.07



United States: The Revis family of North Carolina (I really hope most American
families eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and less junk food than this family.)

Food expenditure for one week $341.98



Mexico: The Casales family of Cuernavaca

Food expenditure for one week: 1,862.78 Mexican Pesos or $189.09



Poland: The Sobczynscy family of Konstancin-Jeziorna

Food expenditure for one week: 582.48 Zlotys or $151.27



Egypt: The Ahmed family of Cairo

Food expenditure for one week: 387.85 Egyptian Pounds or $68.53



Ecuador: The Ayme family of Tingo

Food expenditure for one week: $31.55



Bhutan: The Namgay family of Shingkhey Village

Food expenditure for one week: 224.93 ngultrum or $5.03



Chad: The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp

Food expenditure for one week: 685 CFA Francs or $1.23





"Society comprises two classes: those who have more food than appetite, and those who have more appetite than food." ~ Sébastien-Roch Nicholas de Chamfort

The contrast between foods consumed by families in each country and the amount of money spent is certainly something to think about-- worth noting is how dominant processed foods are on the American table compared to others. I fear that this is not an exaggeration.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, nice. I didn't know you have more than one site. Kudos! I like this one too, and oh my, I love grocery shopping like its an art form. I need to go to Cali and spend some time with you... watch you pick crabmeat out of their cavities! LOL.

Evaline C. said...

hi :] i happened to land on your blog, and i really like that it has entries like this :)

...that budget crab salad looks mean, by the way!

chiscotti said...

Hii! I just realized you are a UCI alum too :) Yay! And you are a non-profit administrator too :) Love the blog, and I understand the need to get as much bang for your buck as possible :)

krysta said...

this was in national geographic a few years back. it's still scary, looking at it again. the amount of processed foods and fast food is just bewildering. thank good there is another strong bad watcher out there.

the grocery fiend said...

J. Quinn: I just have to admit to my blog addiction. There's no denying it. If you come to Cali and there is crab, you're definitely going to be helping me pick it!

Chnev: Thanks for stopping by!

Chiara: I'm glad that I'm not the only UCI alum out there who survived Irvine and works in the nonprofit field and crawls food blogs! Please shoot me an email if you'd like to connect.

Krysta: Strong Bad binds all who watch. I feel much closer to the Evil Chef Mom in myself, though I'm probably more of an Evil Chef Roommate.