Friday, February 08, 2008

Pauper's Pumpkin Soup

After neglecting this blog for two years of insanity at university, I find that I once again have the time and energy to post my culinary antics again. I am now a college graduate who is two months into the terrible reality of repaying student loans. I'm reviving Grocery Fanatic in order to record the culinary creativity that comes from empty pockets and good-natured gastronomic desperation.

---

Since I'm trying to save as much money as possible, I've been forcing myself to really use up all of the odds and ends that my mom piles onto me when I visit instead of going out and buying lots of groceries-- I did, however, have to go to the market downstairs to fetch a couple of onions for my pantry.

Two weeks ago my mom gave me a tiny pumpkin from my aunt's garden. I think I was supposed to steam it with a chunk of palm sugar on top (which she also gave me), but instead I decided to make pumpkin soup.

So here's what what I had in my kitchen:

  • Diced and sauteed half of an onion in a tablespoon of butter, with a half-pinch of kosher salt until softened.
  • Added some diced ham to the pan and cooked over medium-low heat.
  • Laboriously split, seeded, and peeled the small pumpkin, chopped it into 3/4" chunks, and added it to the pot.
  • Allowed everything to cook together, stirring occasionally, for eight or ten minutes, added a tiny dash of cinnamon, a few grates of fresh nutmeg, a few grinds of black pepper, a half-pinch of red pepper flake.
  • Once the pumpkin was soft enough to partially mash with a spoon, I added a can of chicken broth + a 1/2 can of water.
  • Simmered everything over low heat for about thirty minutes while I ate rice with leftover roast pork. (Thank you, Lunar New Year feasting!)
  • Used a potato masher on the already-falling-apart pumpkin, then realized that pumpkin soup just has to be pureed, unless it's a component in one of the Asian soups my mom makes.
  • Pureed the hot soup in the blender, half at a time, holding the top with a cloth.
  • Tasted it, decided to add-- yes-- about 1/3 cup of condensed milk to the entire batch. Lovely. Trust me.
Ingredients break-down:
  • 1 small pumpkin (about 1.5-2 lbs)
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • 1/3 c condensed milk
  • ~4 oz ham (will cut back on this next time)
  • 1 14-oz can chicken broth
  • 7 oz water
  • ground cinnamon
  • fresh nutmeg
  • red pepper flake
  • salt & pepper
I would break down the cost of this soup but it was virtually free considering I would have most of the ingredients around anyway. I did have to pick up onions, though, which came out to 70 cents.

Ah, soup-- cheap, delicious, (generally) nutritious, and perfect for the winter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds tasty. I think I'll sneak it into one of Chanda's meals.

the grocery fiend said...

Do it! All I ever hear about you feeding her is pancakes and bacon. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;n)