Thursday, May 12, 2011

More Snapshots of Where the Grub Comes From

It's been a while since the last time I showed what my parents' backyard looks like. I love strolling through it during my visits and marveling at how they can get everything to grow so damn well. I have my own little 3' x 6' plot going in my apartment building's parking lot, and I would be eversojoyous if  my haphazard gardening technique yields... anything. Okay, to be fair, I've been able to snag a few arugula leaves, my swiss chard is coming along nicely, and a couple of my tomato plants are budding, so I guess I'm doing alright.

But it's nothing compared to my parents' yard:

Papaya!
Mustard greens, I think
Protected lettuce sprouts
"Sweet 100" Cherry Tomatoes
The cherry tomato tree is wild. It looks like there are three or four different plants growing tangled up together, a-bloomin' all over the place. It's wonderful.

Onion buds
Those buds are going to bloom eventually, and they actually have an onion-y flavor, too. I learned that from Jamie Oliver. I picked off a couple and popped one in my mouth and it did, indeed, taste like onion. I then walked across the yard to my little brother and popped one into his mouth, commanding him to chew. After a few seconds, he asked "What did you just feed me?" Teehee.

Not pictured: tangerines that are very seedy but which are surprisingly sweet this year, and oranges that are tart but very juicy. Yum. Now if only they could get stone fruit to grow in this climate... Ah well, can't be greedy.

No comments: