Friday, May 06, 2011

I'm Growing an Apple Tree

About a month ago, I ate a baby Gala apple and was surprised to find that the seeds within had germinated. (Due, perhaps, to refrigeration during transport?)
Like my aunt, I couldn't resist planting it. In a tiny, tiny pot.

1 week
So the little guy is growing, and rapidly outgrowing its current home.
2 weeks
3 weeks
I like whimsy. A lot. I read up on apple trees and learned that not only do apple trees have to cross-pollinate to bear fruit, but trees grown from seed rarely bear tasty fruit if they bear at all since most apple trees are grown through grafting. But it's too late now. I'm invested.
4 weeks
If I'm still steward of this tree in five years or so, I may be in the market for mail-order pollen.

1 comment:

Benny Hill said...

Hi there,

I found your post when searching for images for Gala apple trees. I just purchased one and wanted to see how big they got. I noticed this post from last year. I am curious, what is the status of this tree?

I love the story by the way. Thank you. :)