Monday, July 11, 2011

Tobacco & Tomatoes Don't Go Together // Gardening

Remember that episode of The Simpsons where tomatoes are crossed with tobacco plants, creating an addictive, high-inducing fruit? 
In reality, smoking near tomato plants is highly discouraged because of something called tobacco mosaic virus:
Tobacco Mosaic VirusTobacco Mosaic Virus: There are actually several closely related viruses (the tobamoviruses) that cause the wilted, mottled, and underdeveloped fern-like leaves characteristic of the tobacco mosaic virus. All are spread by what are termed mechanical means: something or something that's been in contact with the virus touches an uninfected plant, and voila -- you've got an infected plant. Sanitation is therefore of the utmost importance, starting with never smoking near tomato plants, as tobacco can carry the virus. Infected plants should be destroyed. Back-yard plants purchased from a reliable nursery or grown from certified disease-free seed and handled in a tobacco-free environment by only one or two people, are unlikely to develop this disease. 
Source: here.
I'm not sure whether to really worry about this or not. Well, I really have no choice about it since there are many smokers in my apartment complex, and I don't think I can keep everyone from smoking near my plants, let alone not throw their cigarette butts on the ground (though people are considerate about my garden, which has been mostly butt-free).

What is confounding me, however, is how the rogue tomato plant that grew from a few tomatoes carelessly tossed into the succulents (and promptly forgotten until the yellow blooms were spraying all over the place) seems to be doing so well, setting more fruit than any of my lovingly-tended plants despite practically growing in an ashtray.


From some web research, I learned that the reason could be too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorous might be why my plants are not producing as much fruit. A nice little mnemonic I found from this GardenWeb forum thread is: "Nitrogen for leaves and shoots. Phosphorus for fruits and roots." Cute.

Closer inspection of the rogue tomato plant shows that there are some possible signs of tobacco mosaic virus infection, but those little sun-ripened tomatoes were still some the best I've ever had. 
I guess the point is, then, that growing tomatoes, even without the perfect conditions, is still a great idea. Well, if you live in Southern California, anyway. 

No comments: