Sunday, March 30, 2008

Chicory is Essential, Apparently

I had been making Vietnamese-style coffee with a dark roast from Trader Joe's, and while it was good, there was just something missing. It didn't taste quite right: it didn't have the same mouthfeel or color as the coffee I had and loved in Cambodia and in Vietnamese restaurants here. Yesterday I decided to pick up a can of Cafe du Monde Coffee with Chicory, and, lo-and-behold, this morning's brew was exactly right.

In Wikipedia I trust (for more about chicory).

The process of making coffee this way is worth it. I love watching the condensed milk swirl up into the coffee from the bottom of the cup. It reminds me of mornings in Cambodia and late nights in pho restaurants.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you be as kind to make me a cup too?
~Jennpal

the grocery fiend said...

Gladly-- sometime in June, maybe.

Anonymous said...

I used to sit in cafes in New Orleans watching people buy multiple tins of this coffee. Before I left I had to buy some and bring it home with me.

I can drink a cup of this remember home.