Monday, March 27, 2006

Roasted garlic soup.

Whenever I bake anything in the oven, I cut the top off of a head or two of garlic, shmear it with olive oil, salt, and pepper, wrap it in foil, and toss it in to get all caramelized and lovely. I keep them wrapped in the foil in the fridge for use in anything from a salad dressing to serving popped out of their skins next to roast chicken to just spreading onto toast.

I was at work trying to figure out what to do with all the two heads of roasted garlic that have been waiting to be used for 4 days. Well all the chicken I have is frozen at the moment and I am ashamed to admit that I have no bread for toasting-- to make matters worse, I've already used up all of my grocery budget for the next week. Hence, my pantry to the rescue! While I don't have any roasted meat or even a humble loaf of bread, I do, however, have onions, potatoes, dried thyme, chicken broth, white wine (cheap), butter, and milk-- the makings of a creamy soup starring my roasted garlic!


I sneaked in some finely chopped carrots into the onions when I started the soup, the reasons being twofold: 1) I have way too many soon-to-be-dry-and-useless carrots left in my refrigerator, and 2) I wanted to trick my carrot-phobic girlfriend into ingesting just a little vitamin A and betakeratene. It worked as I think she was too distracted by the garlicky soup to notice the bits of orange carrot still floating in it even after a couple of rounds in my blender.

My blender sucks. My soup was perfect until I had the genius idea of adding two cloves of fresh garlic to the blender-- it made the flavor way too sharp and so overwhelming that even my garlic-addict girlfriend was put off by it.

Lesson of my adventure in roasted-garlic-potato soup: know when to stop!

No comments: